I'm a big fan of sticking to definitions, but they normally need to be
presented in sets to the uninitiated, or they become confusing.

IE: if you decide to put forward an example sampled across 6.6 seconds
resulting in the case of no velocity despite much distance covered, the
concept of discrete units and sampling intervals might need mentioning.

It's probably easier to go Lagrangian, and assume the 1fps sampling unit,
and examplify on that, if you don't want to touch on calculus (which I find
tends to be more intimidating than most other fundamentals for new comers).