From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Andy Jones
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:08 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Difference between a force and a velocity ?

The example of running around on a track is wrong unless you're on a stationary
planet.  Way to confuse Olivier, guys :(

Here's my stab:  Definitions aside, velocity describes how something is moving
at an instant in time.  Force, however, is more closely related to how an
object will accelerate over time (in that the acceleration of the object is
directly proportional to the forces acting upon it).  So if a force is acting
on an object, that will cause it to start moving differently as time passes,
like what happens when you drop something.  When you drop a ball, gravity (a
force) causes its downward velocity to increase more and more as time passes.

A noteworthy exception to this simple explanation of forces and velocity are
forces that are actually dependent on velocity.  In practice, one of the most
common such forces is the force of friction with a surface, such as a table top
(or even the surface of air against the object, which is a component of the
"drag" force affecting an object traveling through a medium).  For example, as
an object travels faster and faster through the air, the force of friction with
the air will increase.  This is why when you first drop a ball it speeds up on
its way down, but once it's falling fast enough, it will stop speeding up and
continue at a constant speed (and constant velocity, if you're a stickler for
terminology).  Once the ball is falling at a fixed speed, you know that the
force of gravity and the force of drag/friction are equal and opposite, such
that they cancel out.

This is of course ignoring secondary effects, such as the heat generated by the
people below arguing over email forums about how physics works.  In this case,
as the arguing increases, the amount of hot air released increases, and the air
surrounding the ball becomes thinner, reducing the drag force on the ball, and
causing it to fall even faster, thereby increasing the speed at which the ball
hits its intended target, hopefully reminding that target that it's silly to
get worked up over Newtonian physics, since it's a simplified approximation of
reality anyway.

- Andy

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 3:54 PM, Raffaele Fragapane