it's not necessarily unusual to get the "unresponsive" message if
you're doing "heavier sims and/ or try to cache"  It might also worsen
if the file I/O is expensive, for example if you're writing to the
network of a compress/encrypted drive.  The UI is not running in a
separate thread in XSI, so when it runs a sim it's taking breaks every
once in a while to process messages (especially for the Cancel button
on the progress bar), but those pauses can be too far in-between if
each frame is heavy.

Windows's window manager is putting up that message for any
application that stops processing windows messages for more than a
couple of seconds. It doesn't mean the application is hung and needs
to be killed. It just means it's hasn't redrawn  its window and
processed mouse messages for a while.