The problem should be fixed is in Sofitmage : having the progress
dialog in a separate thread, plus poll for the cancel button more
often, so that you can click cancel (although ICE may not be able to
cancel in the middle of a frame)

For the other problems, the "unresponsive" message windows gives is a
symptom, it isn't the cause of the problem.  Is the problem that
windows is graying out Softimage's window?  If so, the only
work-around for not is to ... browse the web/check mail on something
another machine.  But if you want to try changing the "unresponsive"
time out value, you can try this (reboot after change)