While we're here talking about strands in conjunction with the volume
shader, are there any special caveats regarding StrandOrientation that we
should be aware of?

I have a scene at the moment where I get strange streaks for each strand
segment whereas when I use a compound to replace each strand segment with
an actual particle with the same transform, I get a nice smooth result.
 The result I expected the strand to render as.

The streaks are oriented in a manner totally inconsistent with the path of
the actual strand.  The points reflecting the same transform are fine.

Any ideas?

DAN