Hi,

I've recently started using ICE modeling to help with some low poly models
with tiny textures. The general idea is to make very small components, set
up the UVs as needed, then make a larger model that is composed of many
copies of the component. I like this approach because it lets me adjust
pieces after they have been put into place, including the texture
projections which will be propagated at any time in the future when the
original model changes unlike how clone seems to work. With the low poly/low
res textures, it's not always obvious what the best look is going to be
until it's all together so being able to edit everything including texture
projections is pretty helpful to the workflow. Here's an example:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36497436/misc/ice-model.jpg - the ring
is made of the two parts shown in front, and it's using just a fraction of a
128x128 texture. If anyone is interested in looking at the scene, it's here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36497436/ThunderMoon/Portal.zip

The modeling technique generally works as expected, but I am finding that
the UVs are not reliably available in the final ice model during export. For
instance, the inner ring was exporting the UVs correctly, but not the outer
- all UVs on the outer were the same (I think [0,1], possibly the original
projection values which ICE was supposed to override). The exporter is
written in C++ and works correctly for exporting UVs on normal models, but
it seems like I have to freeze the modeling to get the UVs to be available.
Is this a typical thing to need to do with ICE modeling? Hopefully freezing
isn't a requirement for proper export. The strange part about it is the
inconsistency between the two ring parts, how one of them exports the uvs
properly and the other doesn't despite being identically configured (as far
as I can tell). This isn't a huge problem, just a workflow thing I'm trying
to understand & optimize before diving into more assets. If freezing is
required, so be it, would be nice to know if I'm just doing something wrong
though.

Also, I am occasionally finding SI2014 gets into a strange state where one
or more of the ICE models just doesn't appear. It is selectable, but has
zero triangles/verts. When this happens the only thing I found to make them
reappear was to move the object in the hierarchy, which of course seems like
a bug but perhaps I am just missing something here. If nobody else is seeing
this I wonder if it has something to do with the use of RTShaders. I was
thinking perhaps shuffling the current frame to/from the first frame of the
scene might help but it doesn't, the only thing that fixed it for me was
moving the objects in the hierarchy.

Any tips or suggestions on typical problems & workarounds for dealing with
ice models in the context of exporting the assets would be appreciated,
thanks.