You could render chunks of them in passes if you are having issues with
crowd size limits at render time.
Crowd deals with a single poly mesh per actor, though you can have as many
clusters with materials as needed.

The export crowd as fbx has issues with characters and textures, but I
found that you can use the plot manager to output ice caches of the crowd
instead
You then have to freeze all of the history on the mesh proxies ( the single
mesh that makes up each crowd grouping) .. Its a bit tricky to do it what
with locked ops and some other dependencies on the crowd point cloud,  but
once its done, I read the ice cache back onto the frozen mesh proxies to
get some awesome playback rates for pretty high crowd counts, at least for
my purposes. I am impressed with the playback speed on the cached textured
crowds once everything is finalized.

With regards to action sources, make sure to turn off the 'cog' option in
the actor proxy when you are importing idle actions into the crowd system.

Adam