>> I do what Adam said...but before I make sure the ice projection is
>> calculated correclty (not bypassed by those evil ice optimizations) by using
>> the attached compound at the very end of in the first icetree on each
>> "actor_copies" mesh. It's really simple, it ensures the attribute is set by
>> using it inside a null equation that get/set point positions.
<<

Here it is in case you have trouble.  Thanks to Fabricio Chamon for sending
this in the original thread - it was a life saver, really :)
I shudder to think how many rebuilds I did trying to get these to render.  This
seemed to fix it in a snap.
I know the feeling well.  Live and learn I guess

Best
Jeff