On a custom render property, it doesn´t work, as example.
Maybe because some of the render parameters are still active in some parts
of the Softimage internal structure.

With custom shaders, sometimes you can´t recompile the dll. You get an
write error. The same background as above.

Custom ICE-Nodes are also a little bit tricky. When you unload the plugin,
an existing Node will become a red status,
Recompile and reload the plugin, will make the Node sometimes wired, some
portsnames are double.
Or if you delete a Node without the plugin is loaded, you get a crash.

I would prefer the way to test if the plugin can be reloaded and refreshed
how it should and when not, restart Softimage.

I think it depend on what type of plugin you code and how deep the plugin
is currently used in the Softimage Scene.
Sometimes you can recompile and refresh and sometimes you can´t...

Stephan