locators are more or less that, barycentric coordinates coupled with a
facet index kinda thing.
Why they are not exposed atomically isn't 100% clear. It might be some eval
issues with those atoms if they were to be exposed, just lack of foresight
in the implementation somewhere back then, simply something missing that
might one day come, or they might look up additional data of sorts
(accelstruct?) and can't be decoupled from that.

Regardless, they can't be cracked open that I know of, not to read from
them more granular-ly, nor to write directly into or over one.

--
Our users will know fear and cower before our software! Ship it! Ship it
and let them flee like the dogs they are!