Ooops, I meant to write "If you have fiddled with the tangent handles..."

gray

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Grahame Fuller
Sent: Tuesday, June 18, 2013 05:05 PM
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: RE: bezier -> nurbs

Mathematically, Bezier curves are a special case of NURBS curves, although
internally some applications might represent them differently. However in
Softimage, Bezier curves are simply cubic NURBS curves where every knot has
multiplicity 3. The Tweak Curve tool recognizes this case and automatically
keeps the tangent handles aligned by default.

If you simply draw a Bezier curve and don't fiddle with the tangent handles,
then you can trace it as a NURBS with fewer control points using Create > Curve
> Draw Cubic by Knot Points and snapping to the knots.

If you have fiddled with the knots on the original Bezier, you then need to
select all the knots on the NURBS, choose Modify > Curve > Set Knots
Multiplicity, set the slider to 3, and finally snap the control points to the
originals. Congratulations! You've just duplicated the original Bezier the hard
way, which was actually a NURBS in disguise all along anyway.

On the other hand if you wanted to know whether it was possible to trace an
arbitrary Bezier (where the handles might be uneven/unaligned) using a NURBS
with knots of multiplicity 1, then the answer is "no", unless you resample very
densely and even then it can only ever be an approximation.

gray