Na, you don't have to do that, i can see this is something you needed to
get off your chest. I'm a relatively new Softimage user, there can't be
that many of us every year, i bought this package, i'm still paying it
off...

Sometimes you need to feel that the package you use and enjoy is going
somewhere and not just slowly decaying into irrelevance.

I don't think its a stingier community, if you think about it Maya users in
the majority they never pay for anything, The company will batch buy scores
of licences. In our small community, it isn't realistic to expect
individual users to pay prices geared towards an industry giant, this is
why in my reasoning, we need more animation studios and fx studios using
softimage as a viable pipe, and in turn why Fabric is so interesting, cause
it seems to be built with this goal in mind.

i don't think anything in our industry should be like the app store, i
doubt there are enough Maya users let alone softies to make that work, it
just sounds like the kind of thing AD would do

I can think of lots of things I'd pay 299/399 £$€

for instance, i'd do so for as previously mentioned a sculpting module
similar to Artisan in maya or max with push/pull/relax/smooth...
or some of the Nex utilities like drawing rows of polygons, click
bridging...

But as you put it, I'm an individual, i can't guarantee that my needs will
reflect that of the next user.

For what its worth FE is the kind of thing i would buy if only to show
support.