In that case the locks are simply respected once the model is referenced in
our experience. Just lock all levels.
We have hundreds of rigs piled up that do exactly that with no work or
propietary stuff or tricks other than setting lock-all on those parameters
before they are checked in.

There is ONE catch, which is constraints will -always- be capable of
altering a local transform as they operate upstream, so if you lock scale
across the board and constraints are allowed in the delta, it's possible to
work around a lock by scale or pose constraining to something to transmit
the values and then remove the constraint. That can get annoying as those
values can't, obviously enough, be reset in any other way than doing the
same thing again.

Other than that, locks worked fine for us on all versions we used between
6.5 and 2013. Is that not the case for you?