From: Alan Fregtman <alan.fregt...@gmail.com<mailto:alan.fregt...@gmail.com>>
Date: Monday 15 July 2013 9:07 PM
<softimage@listproc.autodesk.com<mailto:softimage@listproc.autodesk.com>>
Subject: OT: Pacific Rim

Hey guys,

A lot of people say Softimage doesn't get used much in movies, so I personally
love to hear stories when it does happen. Therefore, I wanted to share some
details with you. :)

I'm the lead rigger at Rodeo FXhttp://rodeofx.com and we did all of the
interiors of the control pods (the cockpits, that is), including the visors,
foot actuators & mechanical stilts, some digidoubles, etc. (except the
holograms/UI graphics that were done by the folks at Hybride.) We also had the
chance of doing our first organic creature, the brain in the lab (which
involved a lot of "gross" ICE deformations), as well as many beautiful matte
paintings and a couple of helicopters.

Overall, we did over a hundred shots. CG was done in Softimage and as far as I
know it was all rendered in our favourite renderer, Arnold! We'd still be
rendering today if Mentalray had been used. :p We threw countless ~8k textures
with displacement and stupid amounts of topology, and good ol' Arnie performed
like a champ.

The stilts (the leg controls in the cockpit) had anything from 1500 to 2500
separate meshes and on average about 150 segments (solid groups of parts that
moved as one.) Once we identified the "segments" by the end we had a rig of
Arnold stand-ins with each segment saved as one ass file, and low-res geo
representing that segment constrained to some part of the rig. It then became
relatively "light" to have the standins rigged instead of the full raw geo, and
it made it quite easy to replace parts or textures later in the pipeline during
or after animation. (Also caching was a piece of cake in this scenario, as we
only needed to plot the segment nulls instead of thousands of meshes or
pointcaching anything.)

On the brain there was procedural pulsing animation driven by ICE deformers.
Globules would "breathe", a heart-like organ would pump its ventricles
intermittently and an intestine-like organ flowed with bulges travelling along
its tract. It was gross and (in my opinion) kind of awesome. lol Speaking of
ICE, there was a kind of lettuce behind the brain that was also moving a bit.
The modeling was done with strips that were procedurally curled and then if I
remember correctly the whole thing was driven via Syflex as the brain gently
floated. This lettuce thing was handled by another guy on this mailing list, my
 coworker and friend Jonathan Laborde. Maybe if he's reading this he can give
more details of how he used ICE in a few other shots.

It was crazy fun project to work on. Fingers crossed that Pacific Rim 2 becomes
a reality. :) Anyway, did you guys go see it? What'd you think?

Oh and speaking of other movies, we did a ton of work in "Now You See Me" as
well, including hundreds of stadium dudes with our propietary ICE static crowd
system, falling/flying money, cg bubbles, an art-directed liquid, lockpicking,
flying cards, many vehicles, the projected motiongraphics near the end and a
few invisible fx. (I feel like I probably missed something, but anyway, we did
a lot.) We were the main vfx vendor on that film, delivering just over 20
minutes worth of vfx "magic" (pun intended.) Again, Soft & Arnold and lots of
effects in ICE all throughout.

Cheers,

   -- Alan

style="width:100%;">
size="1" color="#999999"><span style="font-size:11px;">This communication is
intended for the addressee only. It is confidential. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original
message. You may not copy or disseminate this communication without the
permission of the University. Only authorised signatories are competent to
enter into agreements on behalf of the University and recipients are thus
advised that the content of this message may not be legally binding on the
University and may contain the personal views and opinions of the author, which
are not necessarily the views and opinions of The University of the
Witwatersrand, Johannesburg. All agreements between the University and
outsiders are subject to South African Law unless the University agrees in