I found a little disfunction when using the stCreateStrandset of compounds.
Sometimes, if you're creating strands a bit differently than the usual way (EmitFromGeometry + CreateStrand) it can happen that the generated polymesh contains 0 (zero) polygon. (It happen to me when emitting from curve (indstead of point) and also when emission was set to TotalNumberOfParticle, and other exotic cases that I can't remember )

Don't ask me "why", but if I add a TurbulizeStrand (with very tiny strengh (0,001)) after the Strand creation, it all goes well and the polymesh gets generated.