"Don't ask me "why", but if I add a TurbulizeStrand (with very tiny strengh
(0,001)) after the Strand creation, it all goes well and the polymesh gets
generated."

Probably because the first strand position is aligned exaclty on top of the
particle position, then it cannot calculate the tangent vector. The
turbulize node shifts the two vectors a bit, and the tangent calculation is
then validated.