This is not an award given for stuff people think looks cool.  It's an
award that companies can submit themselves for to get recognized for "
discoveries and innovations have contributed in significant,
outstanding and lasting ways to motion pictures", and then there is a
peer process to validate them.   Maybe ICE or Fabric can get some
Vimeo award or something.  Softimage|3D got a Scientific and
Engineering award in 1997 for the Actor IK module