On occasion, yes, but usually when the offloaded model is a dependency of
something else going on in the scene.  Eg: the loaded scene content needs the
offloaded model for something.

Matt

From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] On Behalf Of Vincent Fortin
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:55 PM
To: softimage
Subject: Re: Offloaded references hangs Softimage

Thanks Matt, that's good to know.

To describe my problem more simply:
Offloaded references hang Softimage. Loaded references don't. That doesn't make
much sense does it?

Did you experience something similar?

On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:41 PM, Matt Lind
<ml...@carbinestudios.com<mailto:ml...@carbinestudios.com>> wrote:
You mean besides the large amount of data you're trying to load into memory?

Models have additional metadata which force additional validation checks and
processing of deltas.  You're experiencing normal behavior. We have the same
issues.

The best I can suggest is to keep your edits lean on the referenced models and
remove any unnecessary crap such as construction history.  Above all, don't put
lights in models.  For some reason they bring Softimage to it's knees.

Matt