Don't worry, Daniel. Workgroups aren't perfect, but they get the job done. I'm not sure what 'world of pain' Andreas is talking about, although I know he's dealt with stuff at a very different scale than some of us. For what we do, and what I'm guessing you're likely to be doing, workgroups will treat you well.
-Tim