You'll have to adjust for the shift from the camera center. Instead of
using the camera-to-object distance as your multiplier, you should use (I
haven't tried it, so hopefully the math is right):

(cosine alpha) * (distance camera-to-object)
alpha is the angle between your "camera-to-object-vector" and your
"camera-to-camerainterest-vector"