Maya got enough other problems... I don't envy them, at all.

AD's predicament is, throttling down Softimage development too far is going to stagnate sells, and they don't exactly look like a company that wants to keep a non-profitable product. But they don't want to sell it either, because that would mean creating competition and loss of customers (even if they tried, I don't think they would get their 35mio. back). Killing it would mean loosing a good chunk of the userbase, too, because Soft users won't run into the arms of Maya so quickly. Embarrasing... So they keep it alive, which means there has be *some* development. Good for us. Better than nothing... That leaves the tactics to add half-baked or cheap stuff, and hope people are stupid enough to throw more money in...

The best and fairest scenario would be to make it a much more open framework, and leave it's fate to those who care.

The COM/OLE thing, though, is a major f*ckup, that's for sure. Really bitter. Well, at least windows is still the most widely used OS. I wonder if it would be possible to get rid of those core dependencies bit by bit, or if it would have to be all or nothing.

Am 10.09.2013 20:34, schrieb Matt Lind:

Did they transfer the COM/OLE core so they can kill Maya too?

Here's to hoping.

Matt

*From:*softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com [mailto:softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] *On Behalf Of *Eugen Sares
*Sent:* Tuesday, September 10, 2013 7:41 AM
*To:* softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
*Subject:* Re: Softimage Rental?

There was some technology transfer from Soft to Maya, also.
Too less to live, too much to die... a deadlock.

What I still hope for is that what's left of the development resources is invested as wisely as possible. Best would be to improve extensibility, so it becomes easier for 3rd parties to do Autodesk's job.
Softimage is too precious and sophisticated to be ditched.