Thanks Eric! Fortunately, Matt's suggestion worked for me. I did have to do quite a bit of re-normalization (I wish there was a more automatic way of doing this, at least for vertex weights that only have 1 deformer influence), but everything seems to be all love and goodness.
Thanks for the suggestion though!

*Sergio Mucino*
Lead Rigger
Modus FX