I wholeheartedly agree on the workflow and UI part, I think the two usually go
hand in hand.
Maya feels very much like a bunch of nodes with the UI built around it as an
afterthought. And XSI the exact reverse.
But don't get me started about the Maya SDK. It's very open but boy, what a
mess. It's riddled with inconsistencies and
bugs (that includes the documentation). 30% of the code I used to write were
accounted for by workarounds because of all
these illnesses. I can only imagine all the old and new devs on the Maya team
who are sitting there in this room together constantly scratching their heads
and thinking about ways of how they could make it plausible to upper management
as to why fixing Maya is still cheaper and less of a mammoth task than building
a whole new app from scratch, or even Qt-ing and de-COM-ing Soft and building
upon that code base instead in the first place.

> It's not all about UI, non linear workflow is also very important. A simple
> example are the generalised weight map in SI. You don't have this in Maya,
> it's all black boxed per deformer, and each one have differant SDK access!
> It's just one example among many other...
>
>> Le 1 oct. 2013 à 20:51, Simon Reeves <si...@simonreeves.com> a écrit :
>>
>> Oh yeah for sure, I know I'm jumping in a bit, but I do agree, the important
>> thing really is that you have a decent base and that base should be
>> Softimage (or something in the future that develops from it's workflow
>> please!) and then dipping in using ncloth in maya, or fume in max is
>> practical when you have decent IO
>>

>> Simon Reeves
>> London, UK
>> si...@simonreeves.com
>> www.simonreeves.com
>>

>>> On 1 October 2013 11:47, Eugen Sares <sof...@mail.sprit.org> wrote:
>>> ... if you have a  good user interface / front-end.
>>> Most of the discussion about Soft vs. Maya is about this. No doubt Maya is
>>> bursting with clever technology - but it's the way it is
>>> accessible/presented to the artist. There's always something extra to click
>>> or to figure out before you can do even simple things, as flexible as the
>>> architecture may be.
>>> Softimage devs just paid a lot more attention to all this, and it pays off
>>> until today.
>>>
>>> Good and simple UIs become more and more important anyway, that's what
>>> Autodesk CEO Carl Bass is talking about in that interview recently.
>>> http://readwrite.com/2013/03/26/autodesk-ceo-carl-bass-making-free-apps-is-harder-than-making-enterprise-software#awesm=~oj0MuqIvLYsChE
>>>
>>> Not that you need to wield a complex 3D application on a tablet with your
>>> fingers, but there's a lot to be learned from this new ways of user
>>> interaction.

   Stefan Kubicek                  ste...@keyvis.at
            keyvis digital imagery
           Alfred Feierfeilstraße 3
        A-2380 Perchtoldsdorf bei Wien
         Phone:  +43 (0) 699 12614231
                 www.keyvis.at
--   This email and its attachments are    --
-- confidential and for the recipient only --