"With this rate soon people will be pre-ordering ideas and empty promises"
They already do. www.kickstarter.com

Back on topic I can't imagine any large facility to be able to operate
without support, so yes it's used and it's needed.
Most if not all of bugfixes are usually implemented in major releases
afterwards, so everyone benefits in the end.

--
Michal

<<ATT00001>>