I think there's a separate argument about how much support should
actually cost for Softimage, given the amount of work being done on
the AD side.  Provided the support price is in line with the support
being provided, I can see where getting rid of upgrades simplifies
things a lot.  So, I'm not opposed to the idea, but I think it would
help the pill go down easier if the support price were lowered some to
reflect the "efficiencies" being gained by AD by getting rid of
upgrades.

Thinking as a collective of users, we also gain more from people
staying on the latest version and keeping the new stuff well-tested.
I know there are all kinds of production considerations concerning
stability, etc, which still apply, but if every place has access to
the latest stuff, it will likely still go into use sooner, regardless
of how conservative a studio chooses to be with running new versions.

And I agree, the price of support should have dropped to at least half
as soon as Stephen left the building.