Ah I see, I was confused when you said " i haven't tried multiple files per
frame (does softimage even export pc2 files this way?)".

Well in that, sure you can export single file per frame per object through
KP_PointCache manager, you simply have to select the start and end frame as
the same. PC2 file format have the notion of  "samples" rather than frame,
so if you have one sample per frame set then basically you are exporting
one data set (pointpositions) per frame.