If it's any use, Andrew Kramer of Videocopilot has a nice old free tutorial
on doing an Earth zoom and how to line up multiple textures of increasing
resolution:
http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/earth_zoom/

Have you tried this map site? --> http://www.flashearth.com/ It uses
Microsoft and Yahoo map data, and unlike Google's, they don't watermark all
over it.