> What I find highly offensive is that the author left out any of their
> qualifications or contact information...

I think it's Simon Payne.
you can read his bio at the bottom right here (scroll all the way down)
http://cmivfx.com/store/495-Creature+Creators+Handbook+Volume+01

>i have only skimmed this but he has arbitrary decisions when to give one app a
>'point' and when to 'dock a point'.

everyone would do this, imho, everyone has their thing they like here or there.
About the IK chains in Softimage, when all you did in 10 years is rig
like Softimage, it's second nature and you accept the way it works as
how things work (with nulls, etc)  I think the discussion in general
is deep and interesting, although those first 3 paragraphs seem  way
too harsh.  I've read some of these comments from client reports.