Thanks for your info, Nicolas.

I´m going through the Motionbuilder Help at the moment, looking through it´s

Audio-driven facial animation workflow options

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/motionbuilder2014/en-us/index.html?url=files/Animating_faces_Audiodriven_facial_animation_workflow.htm,topicNumber=d30e55972

Personally, I like working in Softimage a lot but I have to come up with
something
that is open, extensible and allows for easy progessive refinement as part of
the
modeling stage.

I am leaning towards setting up Character Poses as individual viseme snapshots
in Maya
and then driving these with Voice-o-matic as a means of getting a block
animation pass.

That seems to have the least amount of overhead and be closest to spending as
much time
as possible actually creating and refining good phoneme poses compared to
spending a
significant amount of time setting up a more evolved system.

I do want to avoid having to lock the model, then end up with Garbage
in>Garbage out,
it´s most important to have ways of getting at good poses and be able to refine
the input
poses easily by "just" adjusting a character pose and directly seeing the
result updated in the
blocked in the animation, i´m positive voice-o-matic will allow me to do
exactly that.

But now, this will have to wait. Opinion built. Request filed. Action tbd.

Thanks for all you guys´ insights!

Cheers,

tim