Ooh, I just got an idea.  And my test works!

Instead of taking meshes and getting the relationship data between them, I
add one more layer.  So I have an object that just sits there being the
"master",  an ICE topology clone being the "chooser" and then an actual
clone of the chooser being the deforming object. Then I calculate the
locations data on the chooser objects (instead of the master objects like I
was before).

This allows me to use the location data at any point later in the tree
because I'm still using the regular CopyOp where it counts.

Thanks for letting me talk at you guys!  :-D
~T.Fox