Hello folks (sorry for the long read)

Been reading and thinking about this all week.

What I realized was that as great a piece of software that is Softimage, it has
always been about the people. I have been connected to this software for close
to 19 years in some way. First time was on an SGI Indy just after the MS
purchase and all the way to today. A few side trips to Max and Maya along the
way. But even with all the great things I made with this software, when people
asked me why I stuck with it for so long the simple answer was the people.

Not too long after XSI shipped, we were starting to use it on a new game when
Gareth Morgan came calling. He sat down with us and asked what can they do
better for us. What do you need and how can we make things better for you. I
can assure you, no one from Alias or Autodesk ever asked us.

We were a small developer back in the day but the fact that someone at SI would
want to talk with us made all the difference in the world. Alias finally came
to visit us, only after we were acquired by EA and got established as EA
Chicago. Alias was told to visit us. The Alias sales guy even said to me had
they known we existed they would have visited us sooner. He then asked what
product we used on our last game...which was pretty successful (NBA Street). I
told him Softimage. He laughed and said it probably wasn't a very good game.
That was my introduction to companies outside of Softimage. Autodesk wasn't
much better in their attitude.

It was always clear that Softimage cared deeply about its customers and
connected in a personal way. A way that always made me feel that they were
there as a partner helping me solve problems. Whether it was flying to Montreal
to meet with the dev team. Visits from Gareth. Phone calls to Manny to help us
out. Passionate discussions on the beta list with Chinny. Christine Charette
manning the beta list and licenses. Jen Goldfinch of course. Poor Simon Inwood
and David that put up with me during our custom builds on the dead and buried
Marvel project. Siggraph meetings and beers until late in the night...Boston!
Erik and his wall of toys. Olivier and everyone at Special Projects. Countless
others that were there along with us fighting the fight. Luc-Eric, Dominic,
Martin, St Blair, Alexandre, Robert, Brent, Marc-Andre...so many others I cant
recall them all.

The day we got shut down in Chicago I reached out to Marc Stevens directly to
let him know we were getting closed. He asked how he could help. I told him I
have a lot of artists that need to make demo reels. He offered up 6 months of
SI so that my artists could get their reels done and help them find a new job.
That was close to 20-30 people. During my job hunting trip to EA Montreal, I
stopped by the Saint-Laurent office and went out for drinks with my Softimage
friends. Even Gareth, long gone from Softimage came out as well. Late that
evening with Jen and Gareth, still knowing that here were people that still
cared. This from a software company.

And there was the mailing list. To my first smack down by Kim (still stings!)
to today, this list has been an integral part of my career. A wealth of passion
and knowledge, this list has always been something that I have been thankful
for. The people here have been just as helpful and passionate as the people
making the software.

After the acquisition...well we know now. But through all of it. The people
were the reasons I stayed. My career has me on a new path and while I am still
in CG and games I have not been hands on in the last 5 years. But it was and
has always been the community of people that defined Softimage. From the people
who make it to those that use it.

If there was one wish I have, it's that somehow, some way, this community
carries on.

Hope to see everyone on the other side my friends.

Cheers
-marc