Since there still seems some chance for improvement of the current
situation I have yet another suggestion although I am sure that we
can't turn the wheel back.

It was stated that quite some schools use Softimage for teaching 3D
for obvious reasons. There shouldn't be a reason why they are stopping
this instantly. With no other software you can gain so much basic
understanding of 3D in a short amount of time so hazzlefree like with
Si. Learning 3D can be such a daunting experience. Boy, if I had made
my final film with Softimage instead of Maya... No student needs the
newest version of a 3D software. Even we professionals very rarely use
its full potential. And when you have learned the basics you can
easily transfer them to other packages.

At the same time it is clear Autodesk can't offer a viable alternative
to Si at this point in time. To be honest I don't think there will be
an alternative on the horizon without a major rewrite of Maya and we
all know how long this can take (How long took Moondust?)

Imho, a good compromise for all would be if Autodesk stopped active
development besides of bug fixing and opening up the SDK for third
party development and let Si remain in its product portfolio. To be
honest I find it an absolute ridiculous idea to stop selling a product
within 2 weeks time. A product which doesn't cost any more money and
has still the potential to earn some shouldn't be put from the market.
What if in the future a company decides it needs Softimage for a
certain task?

Related to this with FabricEngine some promising developments are
coming which mean that the host application doesn't necessary needs to
be active developed and can nonetheless live on for quite some time
by third party development. I see FabricEngine in a form of "geriatric
care" for retired Softimage. That would also give everybody more
breath for transitioning to possibly upcoming alternatives. So don't
put it this abruptly from the market. It simply doesn't make any
sense.

Second thought to this. As a solo entrepreneur never having seen a
large studio from the inside I have only a notion of how complex large
studio piplines for film or games can be. But I find two years for
transitioning especially for large studios a ridicioulus short amount
of time. Most likely you are cought in production right now, in
preproduction for the next show and planning a sequal for a Softimage
produced film afterwards. And then you should rebuild your whole
pipeline right in the middle within 24 months?
Especially in the sensitive state the VFX industry is right in the
moment? (I've just watched "Life after Pi", quite depressing)
So 5 to 10 years would be a much more reasonable amount of time for
transitioning especially for the large studios. This would also help
that 3rd party development doesn't cease so rapidly.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Stephan.

MP> Hi everyone,

MP> I have an update to the Softimage Transition Plan to share with you:

MP> When we created the initial Softimage transition plan our desire
MP> was to provide our customers with
MP> an easy, no-cost path to transition  to either 3ds Max or Maya.
MP> We have been monitoring all of your
MP> feedback on the forums, including many direct conversations with our
customers, and have made
MP> adjustments to the transition offering to address your concerns.
MP> As we had previously announced, a
MP> program is available to all Softimage customers on Subscription providing
you with the option of
MP> migrating to 3ds Max or Maya via a bundle that will include a
MP> Softimage license until April 2016.
MP> Based on your feedback we will be adding the ability to continue to access
Softimage indefinitely
MP> with your Subscription entitlement even after we stop support on
MP> Softimage in April 2016.   We have
MP> heard you and we want to make sure you can continue to be able to
MP> access your Softimage projects even
MP> after the retirement of Softimage.  Our intention was not to
MP> create more burden on you with this
MP> difficult change.

MP> As many of you have also asked about this, we would also like to
MP> clarify what will happen if you do
MP> not want to transition: your licenses will not stop working. Any licenses
you have purchased are
MP> yours. They are perpetual licenses and will continue working
MP> whether you are on Subscription or not.
MP> You will continue to be able to contact support if you need to move a
license to a new machine.