I am sorry to add more to the list on this topic, but i wanted to share my
thoughts with you all,  from a different post i wrote on a different list.

From different post:

Like every job, it's all about the best talent and the best tools.

I have been extremely lucky to have some of the best crew, but i have to say,
the best tools make a huge difference in the process obviously.

Softimage is a great all rounder, and we could NOT have done PETA without
Softimage, in the time we have, if not at all.
All the sim work, including hair, has been done in ICE, all done from scratch
in few weeks.
It's a great all rounder software, and ICE is the most powerful piece of kit i
have seen in years. Visual programming is the future of our industry, and other
industries too (gaming, interactive,...)

I don't want to go off topic and reiterate what everyone has been expressing in
the last week with great passion, but AD, shutting down Softimage, is probably
one of the worst decision they made. The only advanced and forward thinking
package they have and they shut it down in the most disrespectful way, it
really hurts their reputation and not just in the Softimage community, but
across the whole VFX industry.
I wish AD had a better vision of the future of the overall CG industries, and
would come up with a total new way of producing images, and more appropriate to
new workflows and hardware, and they would transition not only Soft users but
Max and Maya users too, to this new platform.

I think Fabric Engine is what AD should have done, 5 years ago, and i am glad
the guys at FE are generating competition, as competition create better
products in general. I love what they are doing and i cannot wait to see the
next few releases. They do have a great vision and understanding of where we
all need to go.

But to answer your question, currently, we use mainly: Zbrush for modeling,
Mari for texturing, Maya/Softimage for animation, Softimage/Houdini for FX, and
Maya/Softimage for rendering(AD please fix the render layers in Maya), Nuke for
compositing and Softimage(and sometime C4D) for design/pitch work.

But software are here to support the artists. Productivity and Creativity are
key. So whatever software it is to answer these 2 questions, that what we will
use.

And after 15 years in CG, using a little bit Lightwave, 3Dsmax and Maya .... i
still think Softimage is still the best.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your passion ! Softimage, and the years of
development and hard work from great engineers and great users deserve this
fight, and i hope AD is listening and will act and deliver soon.

Vince Baertsoen
Head of CG

T  +1 212 337 3210

[http://www.themill.com/logos/MillLogo.png]

The Mill 451 Broadway, 6th Floor, New York,  NY 10013
themill.com | <http://www.themill.com/>  themillblog.com |
<http://www.themillblog.com/>  @millchannel | <https://twitter.com/millchannel>
 facebook.com/millchannel<http://www.facebook.com/millchannel>