Redshift is very, very nice.

ATM, it seems 1 license will be fine to work with both Maya and Softimage.

I have the Redshift paid beta running on my modeling box and use it to literally
instantly get a good preview of what things are going to look like later.

Redshift has completely changed the level of preview quality I take for granted.

VRay 3 for Maya will sure be pretty nice, too. Arnold 1.0.1+ feels pretty
mature now
and can be found in a great many places looking for an extensible plattform.

In terms of rendering options, this is like the golden age finally...

Personally, for me it´s mostly Redshift but I wouldn´t automatically discard
Vray in favor
of Arnold. Arnold already needs significantly more dedication for just getting
it to render a
sequence out of Maya and the whole kick/ass thing and rlm business is a lot of
script(ing) stuff
where Vray may provide you with just a button/GUI that works as expected.

To me, VRay is the final version of mental ray that actually just works.

Arnold is like the stereotype of a TD. Powerful but not neccessarily easy to
get just because you dialed the AA.

Cheers,

tim