I feel your pain, i really do..

I never had problems with Softimage in this regard, but we faced similar roadblocks 10 years ago when we spoke with huge Studios trying to sell them our realtime procedural content creation solution... Everyone was amazed and loved the outcome. Unfortunately the tool was too different and alienated all the resident artists, so we didn't come far with it with - just a few hardcore users out there. But unlike Autodesk we made everything open source when we stopped its production ;)

Chris