Once upon a time, there used to be these Maya guys that never knew what
they were missing out because they never stepped out of their comfort zone.
 Don't repeat their mistake from your perspective.  I would say keep
Softimage in your arsenal, but also give Sesi and Houdini a fair shake.
 You don't have to grow up or not have fun using Houdini.  Your first shot
might be a little annoying getting everything set up, but shot 2 through
infinity doing variations of the same thing will be an absolute joy.

We're using Mantra to great success.  Hard surface, liquids, smoke, it does
it all.  I know you guys are saying Arnold, Arnold, Arnold, and I use
Arnold all the time in Maya/XSI, but Mantra is every bit as competitive and
more feature rich if you give it a shot.

We JUST finished this 15 second spot.  All Houdini except for the matchmove
the Maya guys had to do.  The compression takes a bit of the beauty away
but I hope it gets my point across.  Houdini is an absolute workhorse.
 Watch in 1080 plz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xq3vh3ILt6s&list=PLYHB_K45JmFp_YbpngWB2x9Wxmr1cxVzd

-Lu