You can't alter the membership of clusters from ICE. Altering membership of
a cluster in general in XSI is a pain in the arse.
Walking a rose grove means you get a lot of pain from the thorns :p

If you want ICE to drive something that something else down the line will
use I suggest you use a weight map instead.
Just output the weightmap from ICE (you can do that), and use it as an
input in whatever the following step is. There's very few things in XSI
that a point cluster can filter for that can't be done with a weightmap
anyway.

Unless you want to drive poly clusters for materials, in which case, no
dice with a weightmap, but a vertex colour map might do the trick.