You could try using the Shapeways.com service to test some models. I've
done a little dabbling and the unit size is no more of an issue than any
other 3d software. You run your object through a free package called
Netfabb, it tells you the scale of the object, which was 1unit=1mm, then
output a .stl file. The good thing with Shapeways is it's all automated,
you upload your model, it tells you how much it'll cost to be printed in
the various materials, then you can order what you want.