I am completely unfamiliar with Houdini rigging. But I did a lot of time
rigs in xsi https://vimeo.com/user3098735/videos . And I have consultation
from houdini users.
I used VEX to do intersection ball with box ( VEX similar like  ICE and
it's helping me). And of of course I used expressions. How much ? mmm  I
can not solve some problems still.  This rig is just training for me....  I
do not analyze how much time I need to make the rig

--
Евграфов Максим.(Summatr)