On May 21, 2014, at 23:15, Jordi Bares <jordiba...@gmail.com> wrote:

> - Shading is very granular and the examples and setups provided are not very
> good so once you get it is good but not great yet. The actual implementation
> of Arnold for Houdini is soooo much user friendly (looks a quite a lot like
> the render tree to be honest)

Hi Jordi,

I’m not quite sure I understand regarding Arnold in Houdini. Wether using
Mantra or Arnold it ends up with a similar VEX graph doesn’t it? If I drop down
a Mantra shader using a ‘Surface Shader Builder’ I get an empty ‘Rendertree’ –
adding a ‘surfacemodel’ I’m right at home, no difference to Arnold. Maybe I’ve
missed something, what are you referring to user friendliness in particular?

What I do love, and stated elsewhere on the list, is the flexibility that
Mantra brings with it without having to go full C++ in an IDE.

cheers

Andy