Apart from Lightwave and later Messiah, it the first time im seeing
Envelope Weights without the need to pain them, yeah I know this might
sound weird to all those that always had to paint them, but this workflow
exists in LW (and messiah) since 1998.

Im not saying its the exact same methods, because it cant be, in LW and
Messiah we always had to add lots of bones here and there to hold the
weights in certain areas. Areas like Fingers had to be rigged with them
fully spread apart so weights from one finger Bone would not contaminate
the other finger(s)

LW later added "normal" Weightting to the mix and Messiah had some Meta
Effectors  to kinda achieve the same purpose. There are not that easy to
setup but once they are there we can then change the geometry because in
reality theres no Weights associated to them, of course that with Gator all
of these was obsolete...

Really curious about Voodoo :)