David/Sebastien: Yes, those green lines define the plane of rotation for
the fingers.   Modelers don't necessarily keep all the joints of a finger
on a plane for the easy "just look at the surrounding joints" auto-solve,
so the extra object was added so the fingers would curl along a plane
without a bunch of tweaking.