Okay so...I've read the manual, searched the list and reset my
preferences and tried the earlier version of 2014.

I have several objects that are aligned to each other.  When I select
them and translate them using the manipulator for all three axis, w
/snapping, in Global mode and COG on or a pivot point, no issues. They
move as one unit snapping to the CG/Pivot Point.

If I haven't frozen the transforms and select a single axis to
translate, the objects will snap initially & independently of each
other and then move as a unit.  I just wanted to scoot everything in a
single direction and keep them aligned.

To recreate Primitives>Polygon Mesh>Cube.
Repeat.
Offset one halfway between the grid lines in all axis.
Select both.
Press CTRL and translate with one axis handle for an axis that vary in values.
Watch the one that was offset snap while the other stays still.

Freezing the objects prior to trying to translate resolves this.  I
can also set a parent and move that parent...neither seem like the
best solution.  To me this doesn't seem to be expected functionality.
Am I missing something? Is this expected? Has it always been like
this?

>From the manual "When COG is on, the objects preserve their positions
relative to each other, and their combined center of geometry snaps to
the target."  From that sentence in the manual I feel it is unexpected
behavior.

Patrick N.