From: softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com
[softimage-boun...@listproc.autodesk.com] on behalf of Simon van de Lagemaat
[si...@theembassyvfx.com]
Sent: 16 July 2014 06:28
To: softimage@listproc.autodesk.com
Subject: Re: Maya 2015 Node Editor

I agree Eric, 100%

As of now we're probably shifting lighting, shading and scene setup in Houdini
instead of Maya now that HtoA is in play. It's much closer to Soft in terms of
usability and UI maturity.  We primarily use Arnold but Mantra is a fantastic
sidekick and when you combine them you end up with an amazingly powerful
triumvirate.

Frankly I was shocked and disappointed at how bad Maya's shading workflow was
after taking some quick looks, everything takes an extra 2 or three or more
steps for every single one of Softs or Houdini's.  The simple task of
connecting nodes isn't even straightforward!! Compile a days worth of extra
steps and I've lost a solid hour to clicking. Anyone who has even looked any
other package should know this, it's immediately apparent that there will be a
measurable reduction in productivity.

On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 10:22 AM, Eric Mootz