Hi Paulo,

Like Sergio, I'll try to answer as best I can..

1) Modo does not have a models paradim like XSI. It follows Maya's philosophy more than anything else: reference /*scenes*/, and manage /*overrides */on the scene. It was overhauled in 801, but is still not complete. However, I think it's on the right track, and hopefully they can wrap things up for 901. If it were complete according to the spec, it would be more flexible and powerful than XSI's ref model system. When you reference in a scene, you choose what parts of the scene you want to import (geo, lights, cameras, environment shaders...). Could be a great way to abstract things for a lighting pipeline. As Sergio mentioned, you also have Assemblies, which I think can be referenced, though there are probably some bugs there. Assemblies can be things like ICE compounds, but they can also contain items in the scene (pretty much any item I think). Modo also has what it calls 'proxies' but these are not the same kind of thing as you find in other renders.

2) Not sure about the particles. I think it can write out to a CSV cache. For geo there is a free MDD plugin you can install to export MDDs. Reading MDDs is available natively. Alembic is also supported, but only partially at the moment. Eric Mootz has also released his emReader plugin for Modo.

3) No animation clips or mixer yet.

4) The sculpting system has gotten a /*lot */better over the years. Nothing is as powerful as Zbrush of course, but depending on what you need, the sculpting in Modo can be very useful. Modo also has a decent painting toolset.

5) The Nodal shading is complimentary to the Shader Tree. Think of it as a way to rig elements in the render tree. It's extremely powerful, very low-level if you want, and gives you global access to the entire scene. XSI's shader trees are local to individual materials and don't really let you share data with other elements in the scene. There's a larger discussion to be had here about how Modo's shading works in general, but that's a big topic.

6) Render Passes.... not sure what you mean by 'complete' but the basic functionality is fine. There are some serious /workflow /issues with it now though, especially related to how framebuffer filenames are set. But the key thing to realize, and this is absolutely critical, is that in Modo /a pass is a container for parameter values/. That's all they can contain. They can't "contain" groups or 'partitions' either, they can only modify the states of existing groups/partitions. Groups (which are a type of 'item') in modo must exist in a pass-neutral state, available to all passes. This means that if you want to create a 'partition' in Modo, you have to create in a non-pass state, and then set its channel values in the pass. In Modo, *scenes *have *items*, and items have *channels*, and channels have *values*. Any item must exist globally in the scene. You cannot have an item /*exist */in one pass and not in another. Anyway, it takes some adjustments, and I think there are workflow enhancements to be implemented (I've logged a request for pass-specific groups that only exist in that pass, but it's a long shot). But potentially, it means you could do some really crazy stuff like animate a camera one way in pass A, and give it a different camera move in pass B. Same item, different animation, because animation is on channel values, and */passes are containers for channel values/*.

7) vRay is in beta. Octane is released. Don't know of any others. We're hoping Redshift will come along sooner than later, but there's no indication of that yet.

Modo has a lot going for it. It just has a couple of major obstacles holding it back, but it's quite the versatile tool.

-Tim