We were all hired in 1997-1998 and never worked on Softimage|3D.
Your CPU is not relevant, but you should try to have the right
compiler, so Visual C++ 6 (which there is no way to get anymore).
Saaphire is a C API so it will likely work with other compilers, but..
your own your own.  I thought you could just import the metaclay as
baked triangles and isn't there a function to convert bslines to nurbs
in the effects->convert.