I last used Visual C++ 6.0 on Vista, it works fine and there is no
link between the runtime environment and the code it produces.  Worse
case you would have run it in an XP VM. Some bits of the compiler are
16-bit so you need to have a 32-bit version of windows, because 64-bit
Windows doesn't run 16-bit executables.  Alexandre is still at
Autodesk, he works on Shotgun with a few other former Softimage|3D
buddies.