I think you've missed my point. Some of Maya's selection context is done in a
normal or intuitive manner. Others are not. The point is that Maya's selection
contexts are all over the place and the fact that some processes bear out
multiple contexts only confuses matters. In the case of parenting, Maya gets
the natural selection order right with the target being last. Its the majority
of other processes that are unintuitive and inconsistent with this one.

I fail to understand how having to read the status line everytime i parent,
constrain, or path animate something might be intuitive.

I've been using using Maya since 98. I know where to get the status line
information. I've written MEL scripts that post status line instructions. Thats
not the point.

The point is that the selection methodology in Maya is inconsistent,
incongruent, and unintuitive. As if though each process was written by a
different person at a different time and nobody knew what the other person was
doing. This incongruency demonstrates that Maya completely ignores how and why
we as users, as humans, think when it comes directionality of source -> target
and how percieve this concept.

This should be a simple intuitive process that the user can instantly
extrapolate without having to read the manual every time you switch from
parenting to constraints or animating. This is selection methodology. We do
this one task, select items, hundreds of times a day. And Maya has no uniform
selection paradigm. In fact Attach to Motion Path can even mislead the user
into adopting bad behavior by allowing the user to think the selection order is
one way until you go to motion path one curve on another and then it can be
opposite the way someone has earned to attach objects to a curve. This is
illogical.

The original poster has a valid and salient point. And its not enough that all
contexts are the same. They could all be the same and still be unintuitive
because they could be contradictory to the way we think about selection
naturally. Selection has to be designed to the way we as humans think and not
just a procedure for the sake of being a procedure.

Joey