That vimeo video looks fine, but I can't make sense of the quoted
forum discussion below.

The video is telling that you Maya always "branch select", i.e. when
you pick a parent, the children are highlighted as well. So if you're
still modelling on the components, the whole branch will be enabled
for component editing, which you may not want. In that case, so you
can either pick the shape in the Outliner, or just press Arrow Down on
the keyboard,  which is the pick walking hotkey.

The Shape is like the Primitive in XSI, but since people don't usually
deal with the primitives in XSI, I guess that's not really useful.
But so that you know,  in XSI, there is the primitive, like "polygon
mesh" or "Nurbs", which contains the geometry but has no transform,
and it's placed in the 3d world by being put under a X3DObject, which
has a Kinematics property.

In Maya, it's the Shape node that contains the geometry, and the
Transform node places it in the 3d word, with the additional twist
that you can put multiple shapes under the same transform. I'm not
really aware of any problem with this, but people tend to build
legends around things they don't often see.