On 02/27/15 16:58, Cesar Saez wrote:
Shape nodes are not equivalent to operators but the primitive itself (the parent of the operator stack with a P icon on the explorer).

In the Softimage SDK we have access the primitive of an object by calling obj.ActivePrimitive, I guess the initial idea was to implement more than one primitive per object (that's why 'active' is in the name!?) but it never happened.

Maya has the same concept implemented in the form of shape nodes, the main difference is that it supports more than one and you have access to parent/unparent them into a transform node by using the parent command (e.g. a geometry instance is done by sharing a shape node on several transforms).

Perhaps, but weather or not I was referring to what(ever) defines the geometry as "an operator" or "a primitive" or "a primitive operator",
the fact (of an "object" and it's center being more "one", and that being a mere example of -many- specific abstractions) remains..
and it's not just like a "potatoe / pot-a-toe" thing,

And I think this is a fair statement..
Vegeta_DTX
15/03/2014
So from my personal and biased opinion, I kind of look at it this way - for XSI you just have to be an artist with some technical knowledge to do professional stuff.

For Maya you need to be both an artist and a bit of programmer to be able to work professionally.

I mean, I often find myself having to write my own little plugins in the middle of the project.

Sure it's awesome, flexible and creative, but I can't do that when deadline is two days from now :)